Monday, February 7, 2011

I will NOT be defeated!

In my mind, men with gray hair look like this: 


 

While WOMEN with gray hair look like this:


I don't know why, but that is what I picture in my mind when I think of gray hairs.  It's messed up.  Let me tell you about the discovery of my first gray hair.  It was May 2009.  The week we were painting our house and getting new carpet to be exact.  The kids were shipped off to Thatcher so we could have less chaos, in the chaos.  It was the day we were getting our carpet, so I couldn't be home.  I had fabulous plans, go to the gym to shower, then the chiropractor, then hit a few movies for the day.  It was my chance to enjoy my time without kids!  

AND THEN IT HAPPENED.  

I was on my way home from the gym, and I looked in the rear view mirror.  There it was, the hair that was glaring at me, insulting my age.  After seeing it, when my brain became rational again I thought to myself, "maybe it's paint.  Maybe it's just PART of my hair that's white."  And then I pulled it out.  But it wasn't paint.  So clearly, the next step was to save it, put it in a ziploc sandwich bag, and drive to John's work to show him the offensive hair to get some love and pity.  Except I forgot one detail, my husband is FIVE years older than me.  Although he doesn't look like George Clooney quite yet, he is on his way.  When I arrived at his office with my gray hair, the only reaction I got was a head shake and an eye roll.  And I'm PRETTY sure he reached for his phone, and I suspect he has Northern Arizona's Mental Health Hospital on speed dial.  So un-comforted and sad, I proceeded through my day watching Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and ...the one where Beyonce kicks Allie Larders butt at the movies.  All day, I kept remembering that I had a gray hair, and it made me feel sad inside.  

I'm quite positive that I still have that gray hair still bagged up in my purse.

The really sad part of this story is that I have found 3-4 more gray hairs since then.  I am SURE that someday I will get old enough that I will stop pulling them out.  But today my friends, is not that day.




4 comments:

  1. Phill's hair is sexy dusted-gray right now...I love it. I found a silver hair recently and didn't react too strongly, but I'm sure my feelings of dismay will increase with each new hair I find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I did the exact same thing, put the gray hair in a baggy...I had already seen one, but that was the first one (to my knowledge) that has fallen out. When I find more, I'm sure I'll be more upset. I don't even have kids yet! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to know that the best part of this is that you still carry it around in your purse. If it were me, I'd probably find that baggie in there, when I'm desperate to split up the girls' snacks, and Meredith would eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture comparison! HAHAHA! I'm pretty sure I agree with you. Gray hair can be sexy on dudes but rarely is on women. Too bad for me. I had like 3 gray hairs for awhile, they went away. I think it's weird that you saved it in a baggie...

    ReplyDelete