Saturday, June 25, 2011

Controversy

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
~ C.S. Lewis
I have been thinking about blogging about something for a while now, but have not.  It made me wonder what people would think of me.  I have thought about my audience, and how none of them would agree with me, and some might even like me less, but I have decided after reading that quote today, that I am going to blog about it.  Because it is after all, only my opinion.

I don't care if gay people get married.  (gasp!  shock!)  I just don't.  As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I fully realize that I am supposed to be against this, but I am not.  One of the big reasons that I have been taught to oppose this, is because it 'ruins the sanctity of marriage' or something like that.  But if you think about it, there are husbands beating, and even raping there wives all over the world RIGHT NOW.  I think that defies the sanctity of marriage even more than two same sexed people in a loving, respectful relationship.  And I don't care what OTHER marriages are doing.  All I care about is MY marriage.  MY marriage is sacred and MY marriage is eternal.  MY marriage is just what I want it to be.  Other marriages do not bring my marriage down.  
I could get into this issue SO MUCH more to share my opinion more deeply and get into detail about everything, but no matter what I say, people will try to debate me, and I'm not opening a debate.  I've been there, and done that and my beliefs haven't changed.  So this is my opinion that I am sharing.  Everyone has different beliefs, we should all have the right to be happy, despite our beliefs.

5 comments:

  1. You know, I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks, and I have to say that it's not gay people getting married that bugs me, it's that the world MUST accept it no matter what that bugs me.

    I don't care if gay people get married. They are going to do what they want anyway; live together, have babies, adopt babies, hold hands, whatever! I can't stop them from loving each other. I may think it's an abomination and even a sin, but as I tell my 6 year old, we all were given the freedoms to choose what we want to do in this life, and respecting other people's choices, even if we disagree with those choices, is what the love of Jesus Christ is all about.

    Thanks for opening that up for me to comment on....I know my husband would have a FIELD DAY with this! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have struggled with that as well. I am a very live and let live person. Like you said, I don't care that someone is in a loving relationship. It doesn't take any skin off of my nose.
    My view is it should be up to the churches because I don't think the government should be able to come in and force a church to accept it, which is what would happen if the government mandates it. I don't think that is right.
    The only thing that has made me think differently about it is that we went to a fireside with our stake president and he talked about it and he said that he understood that people didn't get what the big deal was, but what it comes down to is if it's anti family it is anti Christ. That kind of hit me and made me think about it differently. The family is ordained of God, I just think of the family proclamation and the family is something worth fighting for. I have been more aware of how the family is under attack in the world and it's astonishing. That's the only thing that has made me re think it.
    I am still not going to say that there won't be any gay people in heaven because I know there will be, like you said there are people out there beating their wives and children and worse, but in this one, I just decided I need to trust the leadership of the church. Maybe I don't understand all of the ramifications. I still think the biggest thing is if the government tries to say that it's discrimination if a church doesn't want to support such action.
    I don't know it's a hard one for me, but I don't think the church is just against it just to be controversial so I just trust them and that's where I land on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I just now saw this! I agree with Camilla, pretty much 100%.

    The claim that gay marriage is anti-family is a confusing one. The gay couples that I know would make lovely parents and would be wonderful homes for any child to grow up in.

    Whats worse? LDS families that abuse their children, or children growing up with two loving mommy's? Seems like a silly question to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I told you lately that I love you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha!!! You are so funny. I always have secret opinions that I am scared I might kill Blakes family with. Good for you to "keep it real" We have a lot in common my friend.

    ReplyDelete