Monday, May 16, 2011

Not on the Over-Achiever List

Remember when my blog was new, and I blogged lots?  That was fun.

Today I am blogging about my experience at the library.  I took Izzy and Maya to the library for story time, but there wasn't story time so we just stayed and played.  I dropped them off at the kids spot and went over to the magazine section.  I ended up grabbing O Magazine because they only had People in Spanish.  Seriously?  Spanish?  Then I went back to my kids, plopped down and proceeded to read while they played.  But as I was reading, I noticed something...something that I thought was weird.  There were 4 other moms there with their kids, and they were PLAYING with them.  They were reading books and doing puzzles with their children.  Don't get me wrong, I totally play with my kids all the time.  The thing is, if I wanted to read books to my kids and do puzzles, I would just stay home.  I take them to the library to let them play with the new, fresh toys, so that I can get a break.  I was totally feeling like a bad mom being the only one in the kid section not playing with my kids.  The question is, did  I stop reading and go do puzzles with my kids?  Nope.  Cause they were happy being on their own.  And even though I felt like the other moms were judging me for enjoying my magazine (which they probably weren't), I know that I'm a good mom.  And reading O Magazine every once in a while while my kids play at the library makes me a BETTER mom.

(the one in the background reading all alone, that's me.  Bo-ya! lol)

6 comments:

  1. I'd be doing the same thing! You have to have a break once in a while or you'll lose it! Or lose it even more than you've already lost it... if that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have done the same thing. Don't even worry about it. That's what the library is for! PEACE! haha I have tons of O mags if you want some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with what you did! NOTHING! I think it's great for kids to see us reading to ourselves and great, too, that your girls can entertain themselves just fine with books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See the thing is, you are fostering independence. Do you really want your girls to have to have you playing with them ever second to be happy? I don't think you do. So don't feel bad. Maybe those mom's can't get their kids to do anything without them. You are ahead of the curve. Be glad you have sweet girls who can play together on their own nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! I know exactly what you mean, and I'm totally with you for reading while they played.
    Especially since I know you do play with them at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally THAT mom at the library too. Maybe sometime we can let the kids play and read magazines together! :)

    ReplyDelete